Tag Archives: Configure Adapter Failed

Latest megacli 8.07.14 emits message “Configure Adapter Failed” on Perc5i (LSI MegaSAS 8408E)

This morning I came to reconfigure a raid array on an old Dell Perc5i with the LSI MegaRAID CLI tool megacli, and whilst displaying information and removing an old LD appeared to work fine, I was greeted with the following when trying to add a new LD:

# megacli -CfgSpanAdd -r10 -Array0[10:2,10:3] Array1[10:6,10:7] WB RA Direct CachedBadBBU -a0

Adapter 0: Configure Adapter Failed

Exit Code: 0x03

Balls. The “Exit Code: 0x03” is supposed to mean “Input parameters are invalid” (ref), but after a few moments of head scratching and checking my parameters I realised that shouldn’t have been it. The megacli package I’m using comes from the debian repository at hwraid.le-vert.net and always worked in the past. A quick check of their homepage reveals a news item on their front page stating.

2014/01/26 — I just updated megacli to release 8.07.14. Despite it seems to works for me, I’d really appreciate some feedbacks, especially if you’re running a 32 bits system. Please drop me a mail !

So something in the new version isn’t 100% compatible with the Perc5i, I’ll send them an email, but I needed to get the adapter configured and wasn’t too keen to trudge off to the server room. After a quick google search I managed to find a rather old v4.00.16 rpm package in an archive here here and pull out the amd64 binary with rpm2cpio:

$ wget http://docs.avagotech.com/docs-and-downloads/legacy-raid-controllers/legacy-raid-controllers-common-files/4-00-16_Linux_MegaCli.zip
$ unzip 4.00.16_Linux_MegaCli.zip
$ unzip MegaCliLin.zip
$ rpm2cpio MegaCli-4.00.16-1.i386.rpm | cpio -idmv
$ cd opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/
# ./MegaCli64 -CfgSpanAdd -r10 -Array0[10:2,10:3] Array1[10:6,10:7] WB RA Direct CachedBadBBU -a0

Adapter 0: Created VD 1

Adapter 0: Configured the Adapter!!

Exit Code: 0x00


Edit: 2014/10/16 12:30 The package here here is much more up to date and also works for me with the Perc5i, however it’s not a trustworthy link and I had to do a little more diddling to get it to run on Wheezy:

# apt-get install libsysfs2
# ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsysfs.so.2.0.1 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsysfs.so.2.0.2